How To Prevent Mold Recurrence
Mold growth after water damage in Albany, NY.
Mold Recurrence: How To Avoid It
Recurring mold growth in your Albany, NY, business is unwelcome and frustrating. Fortunately, knowing the causes for the recurrence will help you keep the problem at bay.
Mold returns for the same reason that it occurs in the first place: The conditions are right. The following are three things that fungi need to thrive:
- Food source
- Water source
Most indoor locations are warm enough to support mold. Nutrient sources, including pulpy products, dust and dirt, are regularly found in most buildings as well. The presence of water, however, can generally be controlled.
Even if a professional restoration company performs the initial mold removal, it is still up to you, the business owner, to prevent future growth. As discussed above, the presence of water is generally the easiest condition to control. If the area with the recurring mold problem is prone to high humidity, install a dehumidifier to remove the moisture from the area. Address water damage as quickly as possible and dry up spills, leaks and all standing water immediately.
In addition to keeping the area as dry as possible, there are specialized products available that are resistant to mold growth. Common options include paints, primers and fabrics. There are also sprays that can be applied to certain surfaces that are thought to help repel mold.
Another option is minimizing the number of mold spores present in the area. These spores occur almost everywhere, so it can be helpful to trap them in a HEPA filter before they have a chance to colonize. You may even have a chance to address two factors with one product if you select a combination dehumidifier and purifier.
Ideally, mold that has been properly removed would not return. However, this is not always the case. Fortunately, there are a variety of tactics available to those who are struggling with recurring mold growth.
3 Ways the Pros Will Remove the Smoke Smell From Your Home
Ozone machines help to clean out the air.
Three Ways To Remove Smoke Odor From Your Home
Even after the flame has been extinguished and the charred remains of your belongings have been removed, you'll notice that the smell of smoke lingers in your Albany, NY, home. Instead of using masking agents, such as air fresheners, to cover up the smell, the professionals cleaning your home will follow a strict protocol to keep the smell at bay. Here are three ways they will eliminate the smoke smell from your home.
1. Remove Smoke Damage Residue
The first step in smoke cleaning is to remove the damage. This damage includes items burned in the fire and soot and smoke left on the walls. The cleaners will use a special vacuum to ensure that all traces of soot are removed from all surfaces. They will then use a specialized cleaner to remove the soot off the walls, which helps keep the smell from returning.
2. Filter the Air
Even though you may not see it, there will be many soot and smoke particles in the air, which will cause the smoke odor to return over time if not treated properly. The odor removal professionals will use air filtration devices to clean and filter the air circulating throughout your home. If the smell remains after filtering the air, they will also use ozone machines to help clean the air, ensuring that the smoke cleaning process is successful.
3. Seal the Surfaces
As the final step of the cleaning process, the cleaners will seal the surfaces in your home damaged by smoke. The specialized sealing agent will prevent any smoke particles from seeping through and can be painted over so there won't be any evidence of the fire left.
Doing a thorough smoke cleaning can take some time and patience. However, when you trust the professionals to do it, you can rest assured knowing it's done correctly and that the smells won't return.
What to Do After Storm Damage – 5 Steps
Knowing what to do after storm damage can make a lot of difference in what happens next. This can affect anything from your furniture to your floors to your insurance claim to your vehicle. It helps to avoid risks and take cover within the right time frame.
While it's hard to repair damage from a storm, you can comfort yourself with the fact that many have had similar experiences. This makes it a little easier to find the direction you want. If you know what to expect and learn everything before the storm hits, you'll be better equipped to get things back on track as soon as possible.
Knowing what steps to take to repair storm damage to your home or business can help reduce some of the damage and know what comes next.
Steps to Repair Storm Damage
- Check your home for damage
- Investigate and assess the damage
- Contact your insurance company
- Avoid additional damage whenever possible
- Choose the right contractor to repair the storm house
Bad weather can be devastating to your family or business. Whatever your situation, if you need a quick and efficient storm damage repair, contact a SERVPRO of South Albany County that specializes in restoring your property to a pre-damaged condition.
It is important to hire a professional and reliable Storm damage restoration company to help you rebuild your home after storm damage. Restoration companies can take this responsibility out of your hands. SERVPRO does this and more, including quoting and estimating the time for required storm damage repairs.
Things Storm Restoration Pros Look for During Inspection
Your home's ability to rebuild after being damaged by bad weather depends on how accurately the danger signs are detected.
Because undetected issues cannot be properly resolved, the structural integrity of your property will not be fully restored if one or two causes for concern are not found.
To find problems, SERVPRO storm damage restoration experts always look for the following:
- Broken roof components: During a full external inspection, experts actively check for signs of wear such as loose shingles and damaged sheet metal parts.
- Gutter fault: Experienced storm damage specialists after storm damage fear clogged and loosened gutters and downspouts. Since gutter problems sooner or later cause water damage, they have the highest priority for inspection and repair.
- Wet spots on the ceiling: If the roof is leaking, the easiest way to find out in fair weather is in the attic. Water intrusion must have left traces of its existence. Dark streaks on ceilings and walls, damp insulation, and mold growth indicate a leak.
- Broken siding panels: Siding issues are always bad news, but a rift requires immediate attention. If left undetected and untested, they pave the way for water intrusion and are an open invitation to wildlife.
- Chipped windows: Storm damage repair experts look for paint damage. This is one of the most common consequences of constant exposure to moisture. While this is just a cosmetic issue, it can quickly become structural if water gets into the subfloor during bad weather.
SERVPRO can perform a thorough assessment of your home after a storm to uncover any issues. To schedule your inspection, contact SERVPRO’s Storm Restoration Experts in South Albany.
Professional Air Ducts Commercial Cleaning Services
Have you noticed dust comes out of the air ducts in your home/office every time you turn on the HVAC system? Have you seen dust or pet hair trapped in the ventilation openings or dirt in the air register grill? This could be a sign that your duct system needs to be cleaned.
To ensure good cleaning of your air duct system, you should use the services of a seasoned professional. Professional/Commercial service providers use safe and proven methods to clean your ducts. In addition, they handle the latest technology to provide the best duct cleaning services for your HVAC system.
So, if you are looking for an air duct cleaning service in Albany, you can expect the following from a reputable service provider:
- High-quality service: Professional duct cleaning service providers will guarantee proper cleaning as they have knowledge and experience in handling complex systems.
- High customer satisfaction: Competent service providers put the customer at the center of all problems. Apart from high-end services, these service providers also offer support services to ensure superior customer satisfaction.
- No hidden fees: Professional duct cleaning service providers guarantee full transparency in their communications. Unlike many other service providers, reputable air duct cleaning service providers provide their customers with an upfront cost for their services with no hidden fees.
Apart from the above, a reputable and professional duct cleaning company like SERVPRO has a team of skilled professionals who have extensive knowledge of the HVAC industry. These professionals can resolve all your questions and complete your project within the allotted timeframe.
If you think your office ducts need cleaning, call us at (518) 456-111 to have them cleaned professionally.
3 Benefits of Investing in Professional Water Damage Repair Services for Your Home?
If your home or business suffers water damage, you may be wondering if you should hire a professional water damage restoration company. What are the benefits of hiring a restoration firm and how much water damage should there be before calling the professionals? Regardless of whether the water damage is caused by a flood, a broken water line, or a sewage overflow, as long as there is a large area affected or the area is exposed to water damage for more than 24 hours, it is recommended that you have a professional water damage restoration company to perform cleaning and restoration. It could reduce total losses by preventing long-term problems like structural damage and mold, among other benefits.
Why should you hire a water damage restoration company? Keep reading
- Quick Service- One call is all it takes, and a professional water damage restoration company will be on the way. The company will send qualified technicians to your home and bring their first-rate training and advanced restoration tools to get the job done without errors.
- Professional-grade equipment- Any attempt to clean up severe water damage without the required professional-grade equipment will be largely ineffective. The fact is, to thoroughly clean water damage, you need access and use of professional-grade equipment. This way everything can be dried and cleaned as thoroughly as possible.
- Get expert advice on insurance-Water damage restoration companies have enough knowledge to help you get a good sum from the insurance company. They can help you gather valid evidence that you can provide to the insurance company at the time of any dispute.
If you are looking to hire a water damage restoration company in South Albany, call SERVPRO today at (518) 456-1111! We are happy to help.
How much Does Fire Damage Restoration Cost?
It is hard to estimate the costs associated with fire damage restoration because there is no such thing as an “Average” house fire. Factors that affect the overall cost of repairing fire damage include:
- Damage Level: was it just limited smoke and fire damage, or is the fire widespread and requires a thorough cleaning of the room or apartment?
- Removal Procedure: The removal procedure may result in damage that requires a self-cleaning fee. For example, water damage to walls and basements can result from a very small fire in a second-floor space.
- Type of Damage: From property fires to smoke, water, soot, and chemical damage (when using chemical fire extinguishers), prices vary depending on the damage caused and the rescue method used.
- Certain procedures must be followed immediately after a fire, and they can ensure that your home is protected from further damage and harm while the recovery process begins quickly. Contacting your insurance company is important, as is photographing the damage before touching or cleaning anything.
- Ventilating the room (if possible) helps remove odors, mold, and mildew, and contacting a Fire restoration company early is a good idea.
- The final step will help you find the amount of reclamation and refining required and will allow you to know the estimated process costs and schedule.
If you are looking for professional Fire restoration services in South Albany, contact SERVPRO. The Experts at SERVPRO provide emergency services throughout the year. Your qualified fire repair technician will arrive quickly and begin repairs immediately to stop the damage from spreading. You can expect quality repairs, efficiency, and fast response from them.
Fire Pit Safety Tips
Summer is truly here in New York and that can typically mean enjoying fire pits in the backyard. Many of us are looking forward to spending time gathering around them to enjoy time with family and friends. Before you start dreaming of movies on the lawn, moonlit nights, and s’mores, take a moment to check out some of these tips from Allstate to remember.
Backyard Fire Pit Safety Tips:
- Whether you prefer a built-in or portable fire pit, choose one that is not too large for the area. The pit should be a minimum of 10 feet away from any structures or combustible materials as well as away from trees, fences, sheds, power lines, and telephone wires.
- Make certain that the seating area is large enough and properly placed for comfort and ventilation.
- Check wind direction before lighting a fire.
- Don’t use flammable fluids (gasoline, lighter fluid, etc.) to light or relight fires.
- To start the fire, use a lighter to ignite crumpled pieces of paper covered with small sticks. Then, add larger sticks and a log or two to keep it burning.
- Burn only dry material. Damp material will create excess smoke.
- Don’t wear flammable clothing (like nylon) or any loose-fitting clothing.
- Never leave the fire unattended and keep pets and children far away from the fire as they will be attracted to it.
- Keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water nearby.
- As the fire dies down, use a shovel, and spread out the ashes to allow them to cool down. Then slowly pour water over those ashes and watch them closely to be sure that no burning embers remain or reignite. Put the cooled ashes in a specially designated ash storage metal can.
SERVPRO: Professional Commercial Cleaning Services Provider That Fit Your Needs
SERVPRO is a renowned commercial cleaning services company operating around the South Albany area. We specialize in almost all cleaning needs for all types of properties, from workplaces to homes.
Finding a professional Commercial Cleaning Services in Albany can often be hectic. It's time to get rid of this inconvenience and hire the services of the best commercial cleaning company with SERVPRO. Our experience ensures impeccable protection that not only creates a productive workplace but also reassures customers with our attentiveness.
With our commercial cleaning services, you’ll get customized services from the same cleaning team that helps to creates trust and understanding. However, you’ll get the flexibility, expediency, and professionalism of a long-lasting company that can adapt to short-term changes and offers emergency services if necessary.
We believe that a personal, friendly, and professional approach to our work is the reason that we have so many longtime customers who regularly recommend our services to others. Our team of highly qualified and experienced professionals will turn your office into a bright and clean space.
Why Choose SERVPRO Commercial Cleaning Service in South Albany?
- Fully equipped and highly qualified personnel
- Friendly, personal service
- Flexible service options
- Highly skilled and proficient in health and safety standards
- Use only the safest products
- Various cleaning services such as carpet cleaning and removing stubborn stains
- A dedicated team with the highest cleaning and maintenance standards
If you are looking for reliable and high-quality Commercial Cleaning Services in South Albany County, get in touch with us right away. Our Team of Experienced & Professionals Cleaners will show up on time at your doorstep.
How to Fix a Running Toilet
It’s a necessity in every residential and commercial building: the toilet. Proper toilet and plumbing maintenance are essential for helping to protect your property from the risk of water damage, but all too often, people find that their toilet just won’t stop running! Fortunately, a running toilet is often a simple fix, with one of these three most common causes:
- A Broken or Dirty Flapper. The flapper is the rubber piece inside of the tank that stops the water from going down into the bowl. This flapper is regulated by the flushing handle, attached to a chain. If the flapper becomes damaged, warped, or soiled, the hole to the bowl will not seal properly, allowing the toilet to run continuously. By turning off the water to the toilet, draining the tank, and inspecting the flapper, you can determine if cleaning or replacement will be necessary.
- Improper Chain Length. The chain between the flushing handle and the flapper must be the proper length to allow the flapper to seal properly after flushing. If the chain is too short, the flapper will not be able to settle into the proper position to seal the toilet tank from the bowl. Checking the chain for any damages, and adjusting the length if needed, can help correct any running toilet issues.
- Float Out of Position. This float regulates the water level within the toilet tank and is often accompanied by a fill level indication on the tank. If the float is positioned too high, this will allow too much water into the tank, which will continually cause the toilet to run.
Not only can fixing your running toilet help reduce the risk of a water damage, but it can also save quite a bit of money on you water bill. If your toilet, or any other commercial or residential appliance, does happen to cause your home or business a water damage, know that SERVPRO of South Albany County is equipped and prepared to help. We have been serving the cleanup and restoration needs of Albany for over 20 years, giving us the experience, training, and expertise to handle damages of all sizes.